Wednesday 14 October 2009

Fire Engineering


Fire Engineering may be a term that many of you understand, but if you don't you will probably have trouble guessing what it really is.

Fire engineering as with architecture and any other construction related discipline will be applied in different ways by different practices and individuals so this is my take on fire engineering and how it is best used. All sorts of people consider themselves fire engineers, but I am talking about professional consulting engineers, not the person that comes to wire your fire alarm or test your fire extinguishers (not that any of these are unimportant, but aren't what I would call a fire engineer).

I would hope this will also be of benefit to people who already know about fire engineering. As with any discipline, and particularly as fire engineering is a relatively young discipline, the technology and approaches are constantly evolving to produce a better building design. Knowing about these can only be of benefit to you can't they?

Adding value is something that is likely to come up a number of times in posts because that's really one of the key components of fire engineering. Very simply fire engineering is about identifying the basic code recommendations, understanding the reasons for them, and if appropriate using engineering analysis to identify and develop a more efficient solution based on a holistic assessment of fire safety standard in the proposed situation. There is an awful lot more than that but I think it will be useful to you to have an overview of the whole purpose before I start to cover more of the detail.

I want to use this blog to make people aware of what fire engineering is and the benefits that it can provide. Working in fire engineering, although I try very much to see it from others perspective will inevitably become too technical, or just too boring for someone not directly involved with the field if I am left to go on too long. If you have specific questions please ask. I find it much easier to work this way, you'll probably get more out of me this way as well. You can find me on twitter @wmarshallfire if you want to contact me, or leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment